Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Yummy Homemade Bread


I just love baking bread. Actually, I love all baking. I am into scratch cooking in a big way. I have even been tweaking my recipes to make them healthier and cheaper. It is so fun!

I am very pleased with how this batch turned out. I made some changes to a favorite Pampered Chef recipe. Next time I plan to reduce the sugar by half and add some ground flax. I love to bake bread in my Pampered Chef mini loaf pan. The bread turns out perfect every time.

I get zucchini in the summer for free from friends. I shred it and freeze it in 3/4 cup portions for this recipe. When thawed, I get extra liquid that I use to replace part of the milk. Just pour the liquid into your measuring cup first and fill to the 1/2 cup mark with milk.

Here is the recipe with my changes.

Spiced Carrot-Zucchini Bread

2 1/4 Cups flour-I use a mix of whole wheat and unbleached white
1 Cup sugar-I will try 1/2 Cup next time
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
3/4 cup carrots, finely chopped
3/4 cup zucchini, shredded or finely chopped
1/2 cup walnuts
1/3 cup carrot puree
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk and zucchini liquid mix
2 eggs


Preheat oven to 350
Spray bottom only of Stoneware mini loaf pan. In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, flax, salt and spices. Finely chop carrots and zucchini (or use previously shredded zucchini). Coarsely chop walnuts. Add carrots, zucchini, walnuts and remaining ingredients to the bowl. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon into loaf pan. Bake 45 minutes or until cake tester inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pan; place loaves on cooling rack. Cool completely.
Makes 4 mini loaves or 1 regular loaf

No comments: